Live Two (2003...e) [Coil...CD]
01 Something / Higher Being's Command
02 Amethyst Deceivers
03 What Kind of Animal Are You?
04 Blood from the Air
05 The Green Child
06 Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil
Recorded in Moscow on September 5, 2001.
Also issued in the Live Box.
Coil's Moscow performance in the Fall of 2001 is documented here, soon after their brief stateside visit. Like the NYC show, the Moscow performance went under the banner "Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil," a tight, energetic performance highlighting Coil's most confrontational material. This is my personal favorite of the four periods of Coil's live shows, simply because Coil seemed at this stage to be perfectly in control of their audience, skillfully heightening tension and confounding expectations, all the while subliminally projecting their bizarre brand of personal empowerment propaganda onto the unwitting observers. This Moscow performance seems to be the absolute zenith of the "Constant Shallowness" show, which is why the bad mix on tracks like "What Kind of Animal Are You?" is very disappointing indeed. The officially sanctioned bootleg CD-R recording of the NYC show actually boasts superior audio, which is surprising considering Coil's usually scrupulous attention to their production fidelity. Still, this performance is very impressive, especially the pitch-perfect rendition of Horse Rotorvator's "Blood From the Air." The final, apocalyptic blowout of "Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil" begins with Balance satirically answering some vicious rumors printed in a Russian publication: "We've heard that some of you may have read that we eat human flesh. However, we only do this on religious holidays." Coil then launch into a lengthy noise assault specifically formulated to exorcise you of demons and brainwash you of all your previous learning, leaving you vulnerable for Coil's subliminal psychobabble. "God please fuck my mind for good!" screams a wrecked Balance, stealing a line from Captain Beefheart's "Making Love to a Vampire With a Monkey on My Knee." If you manage to make it to the end of this exhausting set with your sanity intact, you may truly grasp Coil's final motto "Persistence is All." - Jonathan Dean
- The New Backwards (2008...a) [Coil...CD]
- Absinthe Boxset (2006...b) [Peter Christopherson /...
- Live In Porto (2006...a) [Coil...CD]
- The Ape of Naples (2005...b) [Coil...CD]
- ...And the Ambulance Died In His Arms (2005...a) [...
- ANS (Box) (2004...c) [Coil...3xCD/1xDVD]
- Selvaggina - Go Back Into The Woods (2004...b) [Co...
- Black Antlers [This Version Was Reissued, Expanded...
- Megalithomania! (2003...h) [Coil...CD-R]
- Live Box (2003...g) [Coil...6xCD/1xCD-R]
- Live One (2003...f) [Coil...2xCD]
- Live Two (2003...e) [Coil...CD]
- The Restitution Of Decayed Intelligence (2003...d)...
- ANS (2003...c) [Coil...CD]
- Live Three (2003...b) [Coil...CD]
- Live Four (2003...a) [Coil...CD]
- The Remote Viewer [This Version Was Reissued & Exp...
- Moon's Milk (In Four Phases) [Bonus Disc] (2002......
- Moon's Milk (In Four Phases) (2001...c) [Coil...2x...
- ▼ May (19)